Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent Review


Yesterday, I posted my experience with and the recipe I used for making my own laundry detergent. You can check it out here. Well, I tried it out on two different loads of towels and washcloths. One load I used purely detergent, the second load I added fabric softener. They both came out smelling clean, but not a strong detergent smell. (If you want a strong smell, it was suggested to add fragrance oils to the mixture.) As far as softness, there was no difference. I am VERY pleased with the detergent.

I must warn you, as I was warned, there are no suds. In fact, when you put it in the washer you can't tell you have any detergent in there unless you feel the water. Then you will be able to feel the soap in the water. 

I purchased the soap and all other supplies at Yeagers. Some recipes say to use Ivory, in case you are unable to find it.

Additionally, on the back of the box of Borax there are several recipes for cleaning the rest of your house. The bar of Fels-Naptha has instructions for using it as stain pre-treater, so you might want to get an extra bar of soap for that purpose.

Hope this helps. I am greatly pleased!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

Quote