Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 10, 2011

DIY Saturday

Project: Homemade Laundry Detergent

3 reasons why I did it:
1) Budget-friendly. I spent $10 on all 3 ingredients. One of the ingredients has enough for 19 batches and another ingredient has enough for 6 batches. One batch makes 5 gallons and in our home should last us 5 months. When you do the math, I spent about $2.78 on a 5 month supply of laundry detergent. This leaves me with a savings of over $45 compared to what we spend on the cheap brands.

2) Healthier. The detergent is said be great for those with sensitive skin. I know a family who HAS to use homemade detergent due to sensitive skin. Also, since there is not a bunch of chemicals, it is environmentally-friendly.

3) Cleans well. According to the reviews I've read, clothes come out clean and smelling great. The detergent is said to remove stains well.

There are many different recipes for homemade detergent, but all pretty much use the same ingredients. Some just have different measurements and some are for making powdered detergent. The recipe I am using is a liquid detergent and I found it and other homemade recipes here.

You will need: 5 gal bucket with lid, 1/2 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap.

Grate the entire bar of Fels-Naptha


Melt grated soap in 4 cups of water on stove.


Pour mixture into bucket with Borax and Arm & Hammer washing soda.



Stir. Fill bucket with hot water (I used the pot I melted the soap in to help fill the bucket with water so that it would get all the soap residue off and into the detergent). Stir again.



Cover bucket with lid and let sit overnight. Stir the mixture, fill empty detergent bottles only half-full. Add water to fill to top. Shake before each use. Use about half a cup of detergent per load (personally, I'd rather put 3/4 to 1 full cup). It is said to work great in HE washers as well.


I haven't used it yet, but will be giving a review soon after I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

Quote